    Re: FCIP: Comment 120

    Ralph,

    Let's look at issues carefully.

    >were told that we
    > had to stop relying on knowing the exact IP Address and Port to decide
    > the end points of the FCIP Links.

    Which was exactly what I pointed out - you're using the "IP Address and Port
    to decide the end points of the FCIP Links" now (the end point is FC/FCIP
    Entity Pair, and which the FSF doesn't identify).

    > Furthermore, I repeat what I said originally and you conveniently
    > ignored:

    I ignored it because it has no merit.  Please tell me a specific problem with
    "SLP, IPsec, IKE, and goodness knows what else".  My experience with iSCSI
    is that it did not have any issues with the concept of multiple iSCSI Nodes within
    one Network Entity sharing the same Portals - conceptually identical to the multiple
    FC/FCIP Entity Pairs within one FC Fabric Entity.

    > conclusion that nothing is stable in an IP Network and SLP doesn't work.

    I'm surprised about this claim.

    Address volatility is something all networked storage lives with, and O/Ses know
    how to live with - this is true at several levels.
        - FC (Nport_ID volatility due to changed fabric ports, fabric merges etc.)
          Solution: use FC WWN (and RSCN) to ensure you're talking to the right entity.
        - iSCSI (IP_address & portal group volatility due to node reconfiguration, changed
          IP addresses etc.)
          Solution: use iSCSI Node/Port name (and SLP advertisements) to ensure you're
          talking to the right entity.
        - LUN (changed LU "views", changed authentication credentials etc.)
          Solution: use WWU-device identifiers (and UA "REPORTED LUNS DATA
          HAS CHANGED")  to ensure you're talking to the right LU.

    To make my original point very clear, FCIP allows certain architectural possibilities
    today and I don't see all the possibilities being completely addressed one way or the
    other in details (such as FSF).  If you want to exclude certain possibilities, please
    do so explicitly and state why.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka