    RE: iSCSI-boot: comments

    Bill,

    I agree. For SCTP-DDP there should be a generalized protocol negotiation
    similar to an RPC port mapper to identify the PPI and Stream.  If so, then
    there is just a need to identify the transport perhaps using an IANA
    registration.  SCTP-X, SCTP-DDP, DDCP, etc...

     -Doug

    On May 7, 2002 10:00 AM Bill StudenMund (wrstuden@wasabisystems.com) wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 May 2002, Mallikarjun C. wrote:
    >

    > > >   - The IP address of the iSCSI boot client (IPv4 or IPv6)
    > > >
    > > >   - The IP transport endpoint for the iSCSI service delivery port for
    > > >   the iSCSI boot server.  If the transport is TCP, for example, this
    > > >   has to resolve to an IP address and a TCP port number.
    > >
    > > It is useful to note that iSCSI currently is defined only for TCP.
    >
    > While it is true now, I understand there has been some interested in
    > adding support for iSCSI over sctp at some point in the future (obviously
    > after we have iSCSI/tcp :-) . So it would be nice to at least have an idea
    > for how to specify another transport in the future. Also, if the spec
    > lists a way to specify transport now, whenever a new transport comes out,
    > iscsi booting devices can make sure they aren't configured to use a
    > transport they don't understand. :-)
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > Bill

Last updated: Tue May 07 17:18:24 2002