    RE: iFCP: Responses to David Black iFCP Technical review comments

    Sorry this took so long; I have two issues regarding the proposed
    resolutions of my comments.

    -- FC-AL support

    The responses to Comments 5, 6, and 47 imply that iFCP supports both
    private (ALPA addressing only) and fabric-attach loops whose members
    are attached to different gateways.  I don't understand how this
    can work because it requires forwarding FC-AL loop initialization
    ELSs (LINIT) among gateways, but those ELSs do not have a usable
    destination port (they're passed directly among neighbors), and
    the ports involved in the loop have not performed either FLOGI or
    PLOGI when the loop is initializing.  So how does a gateway figure
    out whether and where to forward a LINIT that it receives?  I can
    figure out how to make this work if only fabric-attached loops are
    supported and loops never span gateways, but even that will need
    some explanation.

    --- Multiple Gateways

    The proposed new text is:

                 For either iFCP fabric type, an N_PORT may be behind more than
                 one gateway provided:

                 a) One gateway becomes the 'principal switch' and

                 b) All gateways attached to a given gateway region coordinate
                    the assignment of N_PORT IDs and N_PORT aliases such that
                    each N_PORT has one and only one assigned address.

                 The above will be added to the specification.

    The implications of multiple gateways for the same N_Port on iSNS
    servers and other gateways needs to be discussed.  This may be short,
    because if the Port's Network Address is registered with iSNS as
    a consequence of FLOGI, only one address will be registered because
    FLOGI only occurs once, and hence all traffic to the N_Port will
    flow through one gateway.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Tue May 07 16:18:30 2002
10003 messages in chronological order