    Re: iSCSI: RE: iSCSI 4.1 & 4.2

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI: RE: iSCSI 4.1 & 4.2
    • From: Martins Krikis <mkrikis@yahoo.com>
    • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:58:11 -0700 (PDT)
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    --- Julian Satran <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com> wrote:
    > there is no octal encoding in iSCSI :-) Julo

    I know. But somebody who is new to iSCSI may not
    know. iSCSI does not need to allow leading 0-s
    for decimal numbers (except 0), so in order to be
    more in line with the rest of the world (which
    would view such 0-s as an indication of an octal
    number), I think we should prohibit them. Simply
    to avoid potential confusion. Plus, it may enable
    some implementers to save a few cycles before/when
    passing a string to strtoul().

    I simply don't think that it is nice that iSCSI
    regards 017 as decimal 17 while the rest of the
    world would treat it as decimal 15. Stating that
    non-zero decimals must not start with 0 would
    leave less room for confusion.

      Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.