    From: John Hufferd [mailto:hufferd@us.ibm.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:33 AM
    To: Rod Harrison
    Cc: BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2); 'Julian Satran';
    ips@ece.cmu.edu; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: ISCSI: Unsolicited data in draft v12

    What I thought I said is that it should be just as efficient to send a
    normal (non immediate) unsolicited data-out PUD, following the immediate
    data, as it is to wait for an R2T and then send the data-out PDU, and
    probably a lot more efficient.  So I do not see why anyone would do other
    then that.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Rod Harrison" <rod.harrison@windriver.com> on 04/09/2002 03:39:15 PM

    To:    John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
    cc:    "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)"
           <matthew_burbridge@hp.com>, "'Julian Satran'"
           <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com>, <ips@ece.cmu.edu>,
           <owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu>

     My reading of the new rule was that it covered both immediate and
    non-immediate
    unsolicited data. I think though the logic in my example would still apply,
    there is probably an efficiency gain in sending all the data in single
    solicited
    DATA-OUT versus 8k in an unsolicited DATA-OUT and 4k in a solicited
    DATA-OUT.
    Just thinking in terms of DMA operations on the initiator HBA I suspect
    there is
    an advantage to a single DMA for 12k over one for 8k followed by one for
    4k. I
    am assuming here that the initiator can not speculatively DMA ahead because
    of
    buffer space constraints.

     John, I'm not quite sure what you meant in your second sentence. Are you
    saying
    even with the new rule the initiator can choose to not send immediate data
    even
    if it has been negotiated to be available?

     - Rod