    Re: iSCSI:SRP

    >I would be very comfortable saying just do CHAP over an encrypted >link, so
    >you don't have the vulnerabilities of CHAP because the link >is protected
    >by a must implement IPsec layer...

    The problem is that IPsec is *must implement* not *must use*. Therefore an
    iSCSI authentication mechanism needs to be secure even when IPsec is not
    turned on.

    The problem is that CHAP is a very weak solution when used with passwords;
    offline dictionary attacks are easy to carry out. It also does not provide
    for mutual authentication, and has been pointed out, doing two one-way
    authentications in each direction is not the same as an interlocked mutual
    authentication. Substituting HMAC-SHA1 for MD5 doesn't help enough to be
    worth considering.

    For one thing, there is the possibility of a reflection attack -- the Target
    sends you a challenge, the Initiator sends the same challenge back to the
    Target. However, if the Initiator is even allowed to send the challenge
    first, then it can precompute the dictionary and crack a weak password
    online. There are plenty of algorithms that interlock the two
    authentications in a way that makes use of liveness on both sides and takes
    care of these issues.

    I should also add that the argument "we do CHAP because that's what RADIUS
    supports" doesn't hold water. RFC 2869 supports extensible authentication,
    and most RADIUS servers (including FreeRADIUS) now support this. That means
    that a plug-in can be added to RADIUS or Diameter to support almost any
    algorithm. So let's figure out what makes sense and then think about making
    AAA server do that, rather than the other way around.