    Re: iSCSI: SRP vs DH-CHAP

    On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 04:12:57PM -0500, David Jablon wrote:

    > Bill, it is not clear to me whether you will or won't "need to
    > license patents", although you may have a legitimate reason to be
    > concerned about the unknowns.

    David,

    I will note that you could help deal with some of the unknowns if you
    could convince your employers to either assert that they believe your
    patent covers SRP, or is willing to make a statement that the patent
    does not cover SRP.

    The current wording:

    	This is to advise the IETF that Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    	("Phoenix") has U.S. Patent Number 6,226,383 that may
    	relate to the IETF document RFC 2945 titled "The SRP
    	Authentication and Key Exchange System".

    ...is certainly cause of considerible uncertainty.  In fact, some on
    the IESG have called it a FUD letter.  (Personally, I believe we
    should never attribute to malice what can be attributed to a weaselly
    lawyer, but regardless, given such a letter, many people would assume
    that it would be necessary to license patents in order to use SRP.)

    If you'd like to do your part to get this technology (which you claim
    is so wonderful) in wider use, perhaps you could do what you can to
    clear up some of the unknowns?

    						- Ted

Last updated: Thu Apr 11 05:18:27 2002
9592 messages in chronological order