    RE: iSCSI:SRP

    > As I also stated in the plenary, using "open source community likes it" is
    > not an "official IETF criteria" for making technical decisions (at least I
    > can not get anyone to write it down anywhere).

    The following paragraph from Section 6.4.5 of RFC 3160 comes close:

       The IETF's methods for dealing with patents in standards are a
       subject of much debate.  You can read about the official rules in BCP
       9, but you should assume that the application of those rules is
       flexible and depends on the type of patent, the patent holder, and
       the availability of alternate technologies that are not encumbered by
       patents.

    I would call particular attention to the last two lines ... Howard is
    correct that suitability for open source implementation is not an
    "official IETF criteria", but it is a factor that influences the process.

    > The IP language in RFC 2026
    > provides the official framework for dealing with IP issues.  Best as I can
    > tell, we have met all of the RFC 2026 criteria regarding use of SRP.

    That is correct, but it is not the entire story.  The IESG has the
    authority and responsibility to review specifications for technical
    quality, per RFC 2026, Section 6.1.2:

    6.1.2  IESG Review and Approval

       The IESG shall determine whether or not a specification submitted to
       it according to section 6.1.1 satisfies the applicable criteria for
       the recommended action (see sections 4.1 and 4.2), and shall in
       addition determine whether or not the technical quality and clarity
       of the specification is consistent with that expected for the
       maturity level to which the specification is recommended.

    The instructions to consider DH-CHAP fall under this authority.  We can
    consider DH-CHAP now, or wait for the IESG to review iSCSI and discover
    that we didn't consider DH-CHAP at which point it will be returned
    to the WG with instructions to consider it - of these two, I would hope
    that folks would prefer the "consider it now" alternative ...

    ... as I've said a number of times before, I think the third alternative
    of starting a process fight with the IESG over this issue does not strike
    me as a particularly wise course of action.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Thu Apr 04 15:18:20 2002
9501 messages in chronological order