    Re: iSCSI: Last Call process

    Excerpt of message (sent 4 April 2002) by Black_David@emc.com:

    > > > Yes.
    > >
    > > OH REALLY?
    > >
    > > I did not see a consensus call.  And I most assuredly did not see
    > > consensus.
    > >
    > > David, can we have a consensus call on this?
    >
    > Not on that issue in particular, as it's entirely under the control
    > of the WG chairs.  DH-CHAP requires serious consideration by the WG,
    > and in turn the real WG Last Call for iSCSI will have to wait until
    > after that consideration has occurred (e.g., there's no Internet-Draft
    > yet).

    So are you saying that the WG has no say on this?  Why?

    I'm pretty unhappy about this.  What I see is that, at the last
    minute, a new protocol is introduced (DH-CHAP), and we're suddenly
    being told that iSCSI has been made dependent on that new protocol.
    Why isn't that a decision for the WG to make?

    What has changed in the past month that made DH-CHAP relevant?  For a
    long time now, the iSCSI drafts have mentioned only SRP and (classic)
    CHAP, with the former mandatory and the latter optional.  The IPR
    issue has been resolved (for SRP), so that can't be the trigger.

    Introducing new work and thereby risk delaying the iSCSI standard is
    NOT a good thing to have happen at this time.  We need to get this
    standard finished.

         paul

Last updated: Thu Apr 04 14:18:20 2002
9498 messages in chronological order