    Re: iSCSI: CmdSN past R + 2**31 - 1

    Monisha,

    If you're looking for reasons behind this rule, I recommend going through the
    ips archives during October/November 2001 timeframe - search for the keyword "X bit".

    But reading the text on page 32, I can see that it's somewhat cryptic, and
    had a typo (the cross-reference should be only to section 8.3 of rev11, or
    8.4 of rev11.90 - not also to 9.3), and does not capitalize the "not" in "MUST not".
    I suggest the following text for consideration as the replacement to the quoted
    text:

    "If an initiator issues a command retry for a command with CmdSN R on a
    connection when the session CmdSN register is Q, it MUST NOT advance
    the CmdSN past R + 2**31 -1 unless a different non-immediate command
    with CmdSN equal or greater than Q was issued on the same connection
    if the connection is still operational, and the reception of the command is
    acknowledged by the target (see section 8.4 Command Retry and Cleaning
    Old Command Instances).  The second non-immediate command when sent,
    MUST be sent in-order after the retried command on the same connection."

    Finally, I also see that section 8.4 differs from the above in applicability.  It seems
    to me that "from the CmdSN of the retried command" should replace
    "since the retry was issued" in the following .  [ Julian, please correct if I'm missing
    something here. In any case, there seems to be a consistency issue. ]

    "a non-immediate command be issued and acknowledged within a 2**31-1
    commands interval since the retry was issued.

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka