    Re: FCEncap Last Call Comment 39

    Mallikarjun,

    FCIP and FC-BB-2 allow Class F frames to transit
    while in the Unsynchronized state. All other
    Classes of frames cannot transit while in the
    Unsynchronized state.

    I may get corrected by those more versed in Fibre
    Channel, but I believe that Class F frames can
    transit while in the Unsynchronized state because
    they are exchanged only between adjacent switches.

    It is certainly true that Class F frames MUST be
    allowed to transit while in the Unsynchronized
    stated because they are REQUIRED to setup the
    Fiber Channel Time Service, which is a prerequisite
    for time stamping frames.

    Hope this helps.

    Ralph...

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    > Ralph,
    >
    > Thanks for the response.  Query below.
    > --
    > Mallikarjun
    >
    > Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    > Networked Storage Architecture
    > Network Storage Solutions Organization
    > Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    > Roseville CA 95747
    > cbm@rose.hp.com
    >
    > > Comment 39 Technical
    > >
    > >    - I think it might be useful to add a statement in this section along
    > >      the lines of - If the encapsulating protocol mandates Synchronized
    > >      operation, the entity MUST NOT accept TCP connections on the well-
    > >      known port(s) unless the entity is in the Synchronized state.
    > >
    > >    Rejected
    > >
    > >    Since encapsulating protocols are allowed to specify operation in
    > >    the Unsynchronized state, specifying this level of detail about how
    > >    Synchronized operation is handled over reaches the bounds of this
    > >    specification.
    >
    > This is a query to FCEncap as much as it is to FCIP and iFCP.
    >
    > I don't claim to be well-versed with the latest FC specs, but my understanding
    > is that the R_A_TOV represents a hard requirement placed on FC fabrics in terms
    > of life expectancy of the FC frames.  If it is indeed so, then could you please
    > explain how Unsynchronized operation with its non-deterministic frame lifetime
    > in the "fabric" could be legal for any encapsulating protocol?
    >
    > I struggled with the same question in my reviewing of FCIP and iFCP as well,
    > and would appreciate a clarification.

Last updated: Wed Apr 03 23:18:18 2002
9477 messages in chronological order