    Re: IPSEC target and transport mode

    These reasons you mentioned here, and the resulting performance were some
    of the reasons I thought we voted to make Transport a "Must implement".  It
    is also true that David Black may have caused some of the Tunnel folks to
    have rolled over on this issue, but I believe, a number of folks understood
    various aspects of what you have said here, and wanted to use Tunnel mode,
    and wanted it to be a "Must Implement" since if Tunnel mode, is not
    implemented by the other side, it can cause your side to have poorer
    performance, even if you can support the higher performance that come with
    Transport mode.

    But more then David's statements, the thing that I understood helped get
    agreement on the MUST/MUST for Transport and Tunnel, was the fact that
    almost all the IPsec stacks that are available on the market come with both
    Transport and Tunnel.  So it is now possible for iSCSI to not only operate
    at high speed, and support the key features mentioned below, but can
    interoperate with HW that can only pass through Tunnel mode.

    I feel that Transport is the most capable and high performance mode, but
    feel that tunnel is also needed for firewalls that do not accept Transport
    at this time.  But, it seems clear to me, that if we have Transport mode as
    a MUST (along with Tunnel), that the various hardware along the way, such
    as the firewalls, will be quickly adjusted to support Transport, since each
    vendor will see the potential advantages of having their product support
    iSCSI traffic in the most efficient manner.  However, we will be able to
    operate with Tunnel mode until most vendors HW will be able to support
    Transport mode through their equipment (such as firewalls etc.)

    So again, I feel that our original vote to support both Transport and
    Tunnel as Must implements, was the right decision, and best for iSCSI and
    the customer.

    I propose we let the original agreement stand.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 03/30/2002
    05:51:18 AM

    Sent by:    owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu