    RE: Bit numbering I-D nit

    Pat,

    For draft 12 I renumbered the bits within bytes by not not the bytes within a word (the byte numbering is compliant with the nit draft
    as far I understand it).

    pat_thaler@agilent.com

    23-03-02 03:00
    Please respond to pat_thaler

            To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, pat_thaler@agilent.com
            cc:        ips@ece.cmu.edu, John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS, owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu, roweber@acm.org
            Subject:        RE: Bit numbering I-D nit

    Julian,

    The nits document specifically says that bit zero is the most significant bit in a word or field. SCSI labels the most significant bit of the byte as 7 so I don't see how we can comply with the nits document and be similar to SCSI labeling. When you say you already did the changes, do you mean you have already renumbered tables for the next draft or are you referring to Draft 11?  Draft 11 shows bit 7 as the MSB of each byte which is consistant with SCSI and not with the nit.

    Or do you mean that our next draft is similar to SCSI in that you number bits within a byte rather than within a word though the bits are numbered in opposite order? If so, I think it would be useful to the reader to point out the difference.

    Regards,
    Pat