    RE: iSCSI: Use of the A bit

    Yes, that is what is going on.

    Last year positive Acks were Overtly Voted Out by the iSCSI group (we had a
    consensus call).  It was felt that since TCP/IP already did the error
    detection and recovery -- the additional checking of CRC-32c would seldom
    find an error which was not caught by TCP/IP.  Therefore, they did not want
    to add stuff to the protocol which would inspire or require folks to
    perform Send and Ack types of flow in order to guarantee safe arrival.
    Instead, they wanted designs to assume that almost always the data arrived
    correctly, and just had a back door recovery whenever the rare situation
    occurred that our Digests found an error.  In that way:
    * things did not hang around and wait, for Acks,
    * there was a reduction in line protocol over-head,
    * and at-distance interactions would not have to slow down.

    This was a clear consensus, no positive Acks!!!

    Well finally the case was made that Tapes needed special handling.  That
    is, they needed this type of support, because many of the implementations
    simply could not perform a reasonable recovery without adding lots more
    buffers then they ever needed before.  Tape buffers are not, as a rule,
    pooled memory, they are devoted to specific LUs (Tape Drives).  So any
    increase to these memory requirements was simply multiplied by the number
    of R/W units in the Library.  So because of this, we added back in, over
    much contention, the "A" bit as it is today.

    It did not need the Ack on the last I/O, since the tape buffer would not be
    reused by anyone else anyway until the next command arrived, at which point
    the success of the last operation is determined, etc.  This was not a
    problem and the consensus was that it was tolerable in the case of tapes.

    Now we have, what I think are contrived situations, in which people are
    stating that there is no communication between the SCSI Buffer pool and the
    iSCSI implementation so we have to act like a tape.  This is, in my opinion
    not a correct assumption,  Buffer management was appropriately adjusted, in
    most cases,  between SCSI and FC when FC brought the concepts of Credits
    into the picture.   And there needs to be corresponding flexibility in the
    buffering when you appropriately work with iSCSI.  The concepts of
    immediate data, and unsolicited data, make that need clear.  Further the
    use of the iSCSI Command Window management, is different then credits.
    This means that to make the best use of iSCSI especially at-distance, where
    we can clearly stand out from the other protocols,  we should push back on
    this idea of Send and Ack.  We should leave the current Positive SNACK to
    the realm of Tape.  However, if it is used for disk, consider it additional
    information, that can occur at very infrequent intervals (MaxBurstSize),
    which might help buffer management, but is not needed!!!

    This thread has tried to come up with designs in which the use of the 'A'
    bit is required, for their implementation to work.  I think that is just
    wrong design, and will cause all of the other implementations to look bad
    when placed in the same network at-distance.

    There is not a way for the customer to know that the product they are
    buying will not work well at-distance, since that is, after all, one of
    iSCSI's claim to fame.  Therefore, it will make all the Initiators, which
    interact with such devices, look bad and give all of iSCSI a bad name.

    I think we should respect the previous consensus call, and Not add back
    into the protocol, positive Acks that are not needed for Tape.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Eddy Quicksall <Eddy_Quicksall@ivivity.com> on 03/16/2002 06:25:56 AM