    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

    Bob,

    That is a constraining design.  In all normal cases that will happen but in
    some designs
    the target may be willing to deal with less data than it requested.

    The target may be willing to create variable length records out of pieces
    of data.
    There are perfectly legitimate applications for this and we don't need
    strong language to help
    the fixed length requirements for storage.

    A host that delivers data from memory will always deliver what it is
    requested.
    But an initiator is not always a host.

    Julo

                          Robert Snively
                          <rsnively@Brocade        To:       "'Paul Koning'" <ni1d@arrl.net>,
                          .COM>                     Robert Snively <rsnively@Brocade.COM>
                          Sent by:                 cc:       ips@ece.cmu.edu
                          owner-ips@ece.cmu        Subject:  RE: sector alignment for DataOut
                          .edu                      PDUs?

                          13-03-02 23:16
                          Please respond to
                          Robert Snively

    Why would an initiator provide any different amount of data than
    that requested by an R2T?  By the SCSI SAM definitions, it always
    has that data available to send.

    > However, if
    > you want to require the initiator to send exactly the amount that the
    > target is asking for (for example, by changing the description of R2T
    > to say that the amount of data sent by the initiator "MUST be exactly
    > equal to the Desired Data Transfer Length specified in the R2T" rather
    > than "MUST not exceed the Desired Data Transfer Length specified in
    > the R2T" as in the current text), that too imposes a constraint on the
    > initiator's data flow engine by the target.

    Yes, I absolutely believe that the description of R2T should be changed
    to read (for write data):

                 "MUST be exactly equal to the Desired Data Transfer
                 Length specified in the R2T"

    The target should never ask for more data than is available or
    can be transferred according to any constraining parameters, and
    should be considered guilty of a protocol error if it does.

    I would have to be convinced to think that this is not a last call issue.

    Bob

Last updated: Wed Mar 13 21:18:31 2002
9100 messages in chronological order