    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

     Rod> Paul, I strongly object to your alternative of tightening the
     Rod> spec wording to force all PDUs to be max sized except the
     Rod> last. As I mentioned in an earlier email, since draft v09 we
     Rod> don't have a negotiated PDU size we have arbitrary maximums set
     Rod> by the receivers. Forcing an initiator to send "full" PDUs is
     Rod> unreasonable since the target may set a huge MaxRecvPDULength.

     Rod> The intent of the current wording was, if I remember correctly,
     Rod> to have the initiator always send as much unsolicited data as
     Rod> possible. This was to avoid the target having to wait for the F
     Rod> bit on the unsolicited data before issuing R2T(s) for the
     Rod> remaining payload. Note that unsolicited data, and its maximum
     Rod> size, are negotiated parameters and that that current SHOULD is
     Rod> quite different from forcing initiators to always send "full"
     Rod> DATA-OUT PDUs.

    That's a good point.

    So for unsolicited data we have a negotiated max length, but you're
    allowed to send less than that.  Similarly, for R2T the target
    requests a length and the initiator is allowed to send less than that.

    That can be tightened up, but doing so doesn't constrain the
    individual PDUs that are being sent, only the whole burst.  I was
    concerned with the individual PDUs, so a different rule is needed
    there.  And as you point out, the max PDU length is no longer suitable
    for that.  (Undoing the change of what Max PDU length means back to
    what it was in -08 doesn't sound like the right way to address this.)

     Rod> Please note that I don't object to your original proposal, just
     Rod> to the alternative which I believe would be a huge functional
     Rod> change.

    Thanks... your comments make sense to me.

    	  paul

Last updated: Wed Feb 27 15:18:07 2002
8911 messages in chronological order