    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

     Eddy> Given that the TCP issues of reassembly are so much more
     Eddy> complicated than the concatenation issues necessary for target
     Eddy> data alignment, is there really a problem here?

     Eddy> If there is a problem, can someone explain that in more detail?

    I'd describe it as an opportunity for optimization.

    Yes, at the TCP level your segments can be strange sizes.  My goal is
    to make things better once you get up to the iSCSI level, and you're
    looking at an iSCSI PDU.

    Right now, the initiator is allowed to send data out in strange sized
    chunks.  There's a requirement for 4 byte multiples but nothing
    stronger than that.

    If you're implementing a disk target, what you want to do is to take
    in the arriving stream of data from the initiator (DataOut or, if
    applicable, immediate data) and send that off to disk as it arrives.
    If data out boundaries are 512 byte multiples, this is
    straightforward: each time an iSCSI PDU arrives, you can send a disk
    write down your local disk I/O stack.  But as matters stand now, it's
    more complex because the data out may end in the middle of a disk
    block, so the bookkeeping for what disk I/Os go with what iSCSI PDUs
    gets a lot more painful.

    To add to this, it seems entirely likely that initiators will use 512
    byte multiples, especially if you negotiate burst sizes and max pdu
    sizes that are 512 byte multiples.  But the current wording in the
    spec doesn't require that.  (It does hint that targets may object if
    you don't do it that way -- which makes no sense at all unless there's
    a MUST for initiators to do what targets are allowed to expect.)

    So that's why I made the proposal.  An alternative would be to tighten
    the spec so it requires all but the last PDU to be exactly the size of
    the negotiated max size that applies.  That already appears to be the
    intent, so it may be the easier change.

    	paul

Last updated: Wed Feb 27 15:18:07 2002
8911 messages in chronological order