    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

     Nick> Paul, For all data carrying PDUs except the last in a sequence,
     Nick> the sender is expected to send maximum sized PDU allowed.  When
     Nick> the negotiated maximum is a multiple of 512, this effect is
     Nick> what you request.

     Nick> I thought this was a requirement, but I did not find it as such
     Nick> in draft 10. ...

     Nick> IMHO, it makes more sense to include stronger wording
     Nick> encouraging maximum negotiated length transfers rather than to
     Nick> add another parameter requiring PDU breaks on different
     Nick> boundaries.

    That sounds like a fine suggestion, if it gives the target enough
    power to achieve the alignment I'm looking for.  Strengthening the
    text you quoted is a start, but other places would have to be
    strengthened as well -- for example the rules on responding to an R2T.

     Nick> If such initiator behavior may not be supported by all targets,
     Nick> then the initiators SHOULD NOT do it.

    That's not sufficient.  You need "MUST NOT".  The reason: if you say
    "should not" then you can build a conforming initiator that cannot
    interoperate with a conforming target.  All correctly written protocol
    specs have the property that conformance implies interoperability.
    (Unfortunately, few specs pass this test... :-( )  So a target can be
    allowed to rely on full size PDUs only if initiators are required (not
    merely encouraged) to send full size PDUs.

           paul

Last updated: Wed Feb 27 15:18:07 2002
8911 messages in chronological order