    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

    • To: "Paul Koning" <ni1d@arrl.net>, <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?
    • From: "Martin, Nick" <Nick.Martin@compaq.com>
    • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:14:28 -0600
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Paul,

    For all data carrying PDUs except the last in a sequence, the sender is
    expected to send maximum sized PDU allowed.  When the negotiated maximum
    is a multiple of 512, this effect is what you request.

    I thought this was a requirement, but I did not find it as such in draft
    10.  I did find this:

    : 8.5 Unsolicited Data and Performance
    : Unsolicited data on write are meant to reduce the effect of latency on
    : throughput (no R2T is needed to start sending data). In addition,
    : immediate data are meant to reduce the protocol overhead (both
    bandwidth
    : and execution time).
    : However, negotiating an amount of unsolicited data for writes and
    : sending less than the negotiated amount when the total data amount to
    : be sent by a command is larger than the negotiated amount may
    negatively
    : impact performance and may not be supported by all the targets.

    This is a warning that an initiator sending less than the negotiated
    maximum when the expected data transfer is greater than the maximum a)
    may reduce performance and b) may not be supported by all targets.

    IMHO, it makes more sense to include stronger wording encouraging
    maximum negotiated length transfers rather than to add another parameter
    requiring PDU breaks on different boundaries.

    If such initiator behavior may not be supported by all targets, then the
    initiators SHOULD NOT do it.

    A disk target which can not handle such behavior is forgiven in advance
    ;).

    Thanks,
    Nick

Last updated: Wed Feb 27 14:18:24 2002