    RE: SCSI command order issue

    > Does that mean it is safe for iSCSI and other network related
    > protocols that do not provide
    > SCSI command order control, as we assume the higher layer (or
    > Operating System) may
    > take the responsibility to control the order issue ?

    Yes, that is the way that SCSI is generally used.  Most code that cares
    about SCSI command A completing before SCSI command B waits for A to
    complete before issuing B.  Examples include databases and filesystems,
    and out of order completion of concurrent SCSI operations is the expected
    behavior (e.g., many disks reorder their command queues for seek and
    rotational optimization, and a disk array with a cache will usually
    complete operations that hit in cache before operations that miss).

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Mon Feb 25 23:18:02 2002
8887 messages in chronological order