    RE: iSCSI: No Framing

    De-lurking...

    Right now, I'd say disk-disk backup/restore and mirroring.  The individual
    disk devices of today can perform at ~70 MB/s.  One need only gang 14 of
    these together, streaming, to reach nearly 1000 MB/s, or 1 GB/s, or 8 Gb/s.
    The disk devices of tomorrow are going to perform at rates approaching 100
    MB/s per spindle.  Only ten devices are then necessary.

    This would be a single TCP stream (one initiator, one target, many LUs).

    If one has to mirror (/move) 10 TB in a reasonable amount of time, say, then
    a stream of 1 GB/s is not only necessary, but paramount.  Even at that rate,
    it would still take nearly three hours to move just 10 TB.  In a
    business-critical recovery situation, three hours is an eon.

    Don't think application (CPU/memory in a server) to storage.  Think storage
    to storage.

    Rob

    Rob Peglar
    Corporate Architect