    Re: iSCSI: Connection termination conditions

    Nandakumar,

    There appears to be some confusion about what is implied by graceful
    connection termination.  Transport protocol (TCP for now) defines what
    a graceful transport connection shutdown is. In section 2.2.5,  iSCSI is
    only attempting to spell out *when* it should be used, so that the iSCSI
    activity also comes to a stop gracefully.

    >an iSCSI logout should precede sending
    > TCP FINs

    *If* the connection is logged in - yes.  As far as I can tell, 2.2.6 says
    it clearly.  The case in 3.13.5 you refer is when the connection is not
    yet logged in!   Keep in mind that an iSCSI connection is nothing but
    a transport connection used to carry out iSCSI activity - as defined by
    section 7.  Based on the state of the "iSCSI activity", a Logout may or
    may not always be required.

    The state transitions chapter could be of some help in understanding
    how transport and iSCSI activities are intertwined during the life of an
    iSCSI connection.

    Hope that clears it up.
    --
    Mallikarjun