    Re: iSCSI : IscsiSessionStatsEntry MIB OBject contents

    Thomas,

    I think the definition of MIBs fields should be more precise, so that all
    initiators and targets will store the same information, to allow useful
    comparison.

    My comments inline :
    > Login PDU and Login Response PDU are not counted in iscsiSsnRspPdus or
    > iscsiSsnCmdPdus because the session is not instantiated until full feature
    > phase (after Login Response).
    I don't see why we should not count them.
    Within the session object, you have connection objects, each of them with
    "iscsiConnectionAttributesEntry". One of the fields of this sequence is "
    iscsiCxnState", which can be "login",... So as soon as a connection is
    established at TCP level, the connection object (and the session object it
    belongs to) should be instantiated.
    > There are separate counters for Login
    > attempts - see the ...LoginStatsEntry definitions.
    Those counters do not count the PDUs exchanged between initiator and target,
    but store the result of each login attempts.
    > All other PDUs are
    > counted, including Data In and Data Out.  I suppose we could discuss
    > whether Logout and Logout Response should be counted, since they have
    > separate counters in the MIB as well (see the ...LogoutStatsEntry
    > definitions).

    > As for the Data Octet counters, the easiest interpretation is that it
    > refers to all octets in all PDU Data Segments.  I think the count will be
    > most useful if it counts only the bytes of data actually read from or
    > written to the SCSI device (e.g., it includes only the Data Segments of
    > Data Out and Data In PDUs).  However, I suspect that the sum total of all
    > other PDU Data Segments will be so small compared to the Data Out and Data
    > In that it would not hurt to lump those in.
    Well, to have a clear definition would ensure the counters for a given
    session have the same value on both the target and the initiator.

    Gwendal.

Last updated: Thu Jan 10 12:18:08 2002
8338 messages in chronological order