    Re: iSCSI: AHS drop bit

    Mallikarjun,

    The bit was really meant to enable dropping the additional header and not
    the whole request if ignored but rejecting the whole request.
    We don't have any use for it but some "vendor specific" extensions may.

    I suggest we change the wording of non-ISCSI non-iSCSI/vendor specific

    Julo

                        "Mallikarjun
                        C."                  To:     ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                        <cbm@rose.hp.c       cc:
                        om>                  Subject:     iSCSI: AHS drop bit
                        Sent by:
                        owner-ips@ece.
                        cmu.edu

                        14-12-01 22:48
                        Please respond
                        to cbm

    Julian,

    Section 3.2.2.1 says the following on the AHS drop bit -
               bit 7 - Drop Bit - if set to 1 this AHS may be ignored if not
               understood; if set to 0 this AHS must be rejected if not
               understood.

    - I suspect it is the entire command that was meant to be failed, not
      just the AHS...

    - If it is a SCSI operation that is being failed, I suggest that
      the target should end the command with an appropriate SCSI CHECK
      CONDITION - so the command sequence window can advance at the
      transport level (and the inability of the target to support say
      extended CDB is known end-to-end, to prevent fruitless SCSI retries).

    - This bit may be useful for AHS code "Non-iSCSI extensions", but
      I could not see how it can be used for the defined iSCSI operations.
      If it is indeed so, I would actually suggest dropping this feature.

    Regards.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    MS 5668         Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

Last updated: Sat Jan 05 16:18:10 2002
8293 messages in chronological order