    iSCSI: ERL=1 question.

    Assume the following scenario where I and T stand for initiator and target
    respectively.

    1. I->T: Scsi Cmd

    2. T->I: Scsi Data (DataSN:0)

    3. T->I: Scsi Status (Good)

    Assume there is a data digest problem for the data with DataSN:0, so

    4. I->T: Data Snack for DataSN:0

    The target for some reason cannot respond with the data, so according to
    the spec

    5: T->I: Reject with reason DATA_SNACK_REJECT

    6. T->I: Scsi Status (iSCSI response: SNACK rejected -> SCSI READ Error)

    The questions are as follows:

    A. Is SAM ambivalent of the fact that there can be two statii for the same
    command? (I dont have a problem if SAM doesnt)

    B, Does the second SCSI status have the same StatSN as the first? Likely,
    it does not, but it should be clearly stated that a SCSI status with higher
    stat_sn overrides one with the lower stat_sn.

    C. I'm looking for motivation here: why does the target (rather than the
    initiator) generate the second status? Couldnt the initiator also do the
    same on receiving the DATA_SNACK_REJECT?

       Prasenjit Sarkar
       Research Staff Member
       IBM Almaden Research
       San Jose