    RE: iSCSI - Synch an Steering Appendix - Markers & COWS

    > > We also agreed that we will strive to have only one such
    > > option and we would like to have it required somewhat
    > > stronger (sender should provide it if receiver wants it).

    > I believe there is also a third alternative under consideration which is a length/key
    > encoding which is considerably simpler and easier to implement.  The primary
    > objection to this mechanism is due to its probabilistic nature, however this
    > objection seems based more on superstition than on any analysis showing
    > that the overall reliability of the system is in any way compromised by
    > the probabilistic nature.
    >
    > In any case, my understanding is that this is also under consideration
    > in TSV working group, so I would hope that IPS will defer to their
    > choice and not try to go it alone regarding the decision.

    That length/key approach is the TCP ULP framing work in
    draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ulp-frame-01.txt.  That draft is currently
    planned to become an Experimental RFC, and hence the strongest
    requirement that iSCSI can express for implementing it is "MAY".

    > However, I would strongly object to the "SHOULD implement".
    > I believe this should be made a "SHOULD implement" only
    > after the benefit of this technique has been demonstrated.
    > I do concede that there are one or two vendors who have
    > view graphs claiming that "Synch and Steering" layer will allow
    > them to build a more cost effective product.  However after doing
    > a considerable amount of study on iSCSI HBA design, I have serious
    > doubts about the viability of this approach.  I am more than happy to
    > be proven wrong on this, but the operative word is "proven".

    That's fair.  I view the level of requirement (MUST/SHOULD/
    MAY) as an open issue - to the extent that Julian expressed
    a preference for something stronger than MAY, that is not
    the rough consensus of the IPS WG.  Further discussion is
    encouraged, and I hope to see this issue resolved by/at
    the February interim meeting.  FWIW, I have heard from
    other hardware implementers that markers are not a make
    or break product requirement at 1 Gbit/sec, but they
    will have to speak for themselves in the WG.

    EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

    Attached are the two versions of the Synch and Steering appendix that we are considering.

    During the SLC meeting we tentatively agreed that we will consider the markers (ugly but workable) and a new alternative Constant Overhead Word stuffing that I had to draft.

[...]

    I am bothered that a small minority of implementors want everyone
    else to de-optimize their designs so that they can optimize their
    own, especially when I suspect the approach is technically flawed
    to begin with.

    And, if the "Sync and Steering" approach is successful, it will quickly
    become a de-facto standard anyway, so I would urge the IETF
    to remain a bit more neutral on this for now.

    Any comments/questions are welcome.

    Happy holidays and a peaceful and prosperous 2002,
    Julo

    Thanks for considering my coments, and best to all as well,
     - Jim

Last updated: Fri Dec 28 12:18:06 2001
8208 messages in chronological order