    RE: effect of initializing CRC reg to 1's depends on implementati on? iSCSI

    --- "CAVANNA,VICENTE V (A-Roseville,ex1)"
    <vince_cavanna@agilent.com> wrote:

    > When Paul, in his 12/14/01 memo "re:effect of
    > initializing CRC reg to 1's
    > depends on implementation? iSCSI", says to multiply the
    > message by x^32 he
    > means that is what the implied circuit does. He does not
    > mean to multiply
    > the message by x^32 and _then_ to perform the CRC
    > computation with a circuit
    > that multiplies by x^32 and divides by the CRC
    > polynomial. Note also that
    > Paul said to complement the first 32 bits of the PDU and
    > he did not say that
    > this is equivalent to initializing the CRC to ones like
    > the iSCSI spec
    > currently says.
    >
    > Anyone who attempts to implement Paul's process using a
    > multiply-divide
    > circuit  will obtain the results in the examples in hte
    > iSCSI spec. If that
    > person then, instead of complementing the first 32 bits
    > of the PDU,
    > initializes the circuit to 1s, he will also obtain the
    > results in the iSCSI
    > spec.
    >
    > On the other hand, if that person implements paul's
    > process using a
    > divide-only circuit as Luben I and others have tried to
    > do, the circuit will
    > not yield the results in the examples and furthermore for
    > that circuit
    > initializing the circuit to ones is not the same as
    > complementing the first
    > 32 bits of the PDU.
    >
    > So it is important that we either specify the circuit or
    > we specify the
    > process more rigorously. Again, specifying the circuit
    > means specifying its
    > response to an input _and_ its response to an initial
    > state.

    All true.

    But let's not really aim at ``circuit''.

    A simple explanation of how to compute the
    CRC, bit at a time will suffice.

    From it an engineer can make a circuit,
    and a computer scientist can make a program.

    It would also be nice to make a document
    describing all the math, derivations, etc.
    cleanly and clearly and make a reference
    to it in the draft. So if anyone is interested
    they can follow the reference, if not, an implementaion
    is clearly defined.

    > I repeat below two ways to specify the implementation
    > unambiguously:
    >
    > One way to specify the circuit is to show the reference
    > implementation (e.g.

    Circuit?

    > the serial implementation of the multiply-divide circuit
    > that I posted) and
    > to say that any circuit that performs the same function,
    > ie. has the exact
    > same response to initial state and to the input is also
    > acceptable.
    >
    > Another way is to describe the response of the implied
    > circuit (the

    Circuit again?

    > I also claim that the description in the ethernet spec is
    > also ambiguous but
    > got away with it because of the implementation that they
    > referenced (a
    > multiply-divide implementation) and which removed the
    > ambiguity - whether
    > folk realized it or not.

    Absolutely AGREE!

    -l