    RE: effect of initializing CRC reg to 1's depends on implementati on? iSCSI

    Luben is right, Paul's description is still ambiguous, although I do not
    quite agree that the issue is the multiplication by x^32. I will attempt to
    clarify.

    When Paul, in his 12/14/01 memo "re:effect of initializing CRC reg to 1's
    depends on implementation? iSCSI", says to multiply the message by x^32 he
    means that is what the implied circuit does. He does not mean to multiply
    the message by x^32 and _then_ to perform the CRC computation with a circuit
    that multiplies by x^32 and divides by the CRC polynomial. Note also that
    Paul said to complement the first 32 bits of the PDU and he did not say that
    this is equivalent to initializing the CRC to ones like the iSCSI spec
    currently says.

    Anyone who attempts to implement Paul's process using a multiply-divide
    circuit  will obtain the results in the examples in hte iSCSI spec. If that
    person then, instead of complementing the first 32 bits of the PDU,
    initializes the circuit to 1s, he will also obtain the results in the iSCSI
    spec.

    On the other hand, if that person implements paul's process using a
    divide-only circuit as Luben I and others have tried to do, the circuit will
    not yield the results in the examples and furthermore for that circuit
    initializing the circuit to ones is not the same as complementing the first
    32 bits of the PDU.

    So it is important that we either specify the circuit or we specify the
    process more rigorously. Again, specifying the circuit means specifying its
    response to an input _and_ its response to an initial state. This can be
    accomplished by specifying the serial implementation that I have posted or
    by specifying the complete response that I have also posted.

    I repeat below two ways to specify the implementation unambiguously:

    One way to specify the circuit is to show the reference implementation (e.g.
    the serial implementation of the multiply-divide circuit that I posted) and
    to say that any circuit that performs the same function, ie. has the exact
    same response to initial state and to the input is also acceptable.

    Another way is to describe the response of the implied circuit (the
    multiply-divide implementation) after the application of n input bits is:

    1. when I(x) is zero, multiplies the input, M(x), by x^32 and divides by
    G(x).
    2. when M(x) is zero, multiplies the initial state, I(x), by x^n and divides
    by G(x).

    where I(x) represents the initial state of the CRC register and M(x)
    represents the input.

    I also claim that the description in the ethernet spec is also ambiguous but
    got away with it because of the implementation that they referenced (a
    multiply-divide implementation) and which removed the ambiguity - whether
    folk realized it or not. The parallel implementations that were derived from
    _that_ serial implementation had exactly the same response to an input and
    to an initial state.

    Vince