    Re: Few basic doubts

    owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu wrote on 13-12-2001 22:42:41:

    > Hi all,
    > I am just a beginner in iSCSI. I have gone through
    > draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-09.txt.
    > I have few basic doubts. I am very thankful if some one clarifies those.
    > I am listing them.
    >
    > 1) Data segment length in the BHS is not including the padding
    >    bytes how to reach the end of PDU.
    >    is it only padded to the nearest integer multiple of 4?
    >    Can we assume like pad can be maximum of 3?
    >    @3.2.1.5
    >
    > 2) Digests are not included in data or header length fields
    >    How do we know Digest is present or not?
    >    @3.2.3
    >    During Login Negotiation PDU where Digest is negotiated What will be the
    > digest?

    pad bytes are not included in the length (there must be a way to convey the real length) and there are maximum 3 bytes of padding (minimum neede to reach a multiple of 4)

    > 3) In ISCSI Command format both W and F setting to 0
    >    is an error.

    +++ yes it is an error +++
    >    Read command(R=1) but further reads can follow is not valid?
    >    @ 3.3.1

    ??? what is the question ???

    > 4) If the Initiator Sent less than FirstBurstSize( negotiated
    >    maximum amount of unsolicated Data the target will accept)
    >    Why it is an error?
    >    Sending Maximum than allowed can be an error but sending lesser
    >    than allowed how it can be an error?
    >    @ 3.3.5

    It may negatively affect performance of targets that send R2T immediately after seeing the command an not waiting to see the F=1 for unsolicited - to "beat" the turnaround time.

    > 5) Residual overflow error why it has kept target can read more
    >    and give only what the initiator is requesting.
    >    @ 3.4.1
    >

    > Pratima

Last updated: Fri Dec 14 12:17:40 2001
8055 messages in chronological order