    RE: clarification please

     Vince> Hi Paul, I used to agree with you on this, and that is what I
     Vince> had also communicated to Luben ( it was I who originally asked
     Vince> Julian to put in the iSCSI spec the same initial conditions
     Vince> for the CRC register as in ethernet), but ...  based on your
     Vince> description, the circuit you appear to have in mind is the
     Vince> circuit that performs simultaneous multiplication by x^32 and
     Vince> division by G(x). When you go through the same reasoning for
     Vince> the circuit that performs only division (and thus requires you
     Vince> to perform the pre-multiplication by x^32 externally) your two
     Vince> descriptions appear not to be equivalent; and that surprised
     Vince> me!

    I suspect that you're right.

    The circuit I'm referring to is the classic LFSR based CRC
    implementation, described in Appendix C of the Ethernet spec (and seen
    in software implementations in many places; I think I quoted
    linux/drivers/net/ewrk3.c in the past).  That one indeed does the
    multiplication along with the division.

    I haven't seen circuits that do the division only, and I'm not sure I
    could generate an example of what one might look like.

          paul

Last updated: Thu Dec 13 01:17:41 2001
8036 messages in chronological order