    Re: iSCSI: unsolicited data

     Julian> Sandeep, I assume that TCP will not overcomit (this is also a
     Julian> commitment that is easy to predict and small in size).  iSCSI
     Julian> in this case is on the safe ground whatever it commits.

    I assume TCP doesn't overcommit, but that doesn't help.  TCP worries
    about TCP resources, and iSCSI has to worry about iSCSI resources.
    You may be tight on iSCSI resources and still have TCP buffers.

    A way to avoid that is to be aware of how TCP manages resources and
    manage iSCSI resources "in parallel" and more conservatively.  If so,
    then you are never "overcommitted" at the iSCSI level, and you need no
    flow control in the first place.

    The reason for having iSCSI level flow control is that the above may
    not be true -- i.e., TCP may have resources when iSCSI doesn't.

    So those cases where iSCSI flow control adds value are also the cases
    where lower layer flow control doesn't protect you from getting in
    trouble if you overcommit.  In other words, if you want reliability,
    don't overcommit at any layer.

          paul

Last updated: Tue Dec 04 14:17:58 2001
7994 messages in chronological order