    RE: iScsi: InitialR2T

    Nitin,

    Perhaps I can explain:

    Under normal (default) circumstances after sending a SCSI Command PDU (with
    W=1) the initiator must wait for the target to issue an R2T before it can
    send any Data-out PDUs.  This first R2T is what is termed the InitialR2T.
    However, as you have encountered there is a text parameter that can
    negotiated (InitialR2T) which (if both sides agree) allow the initiator to
    send a burst of data no longer than the FirstBurstSize.  This first burst
    can be in one or more Data-out PDUs (depending on the value of
    MaxRecvPDULength). After the first burst (denoted by the F bit being set in
    the last Data-PDU of the first burst), the initiator MUST wait for an R2T
    before sending the next burst of data.  This next burst is then solicited.

    To be able to make use of the unsolicited feature, both sides must agree to
    it by each side sending InitialR2T=no.  If either party sends InitialR2T=yes
    then I'm afraid all data has to be sent solicited.

    I'd agreed that the sentence is a little misleading so perhaps it should
    read:

    "Note that only the first outgoing data burst (immediate data and/or or
    separate PDUs) can be sent unsolicited (i.e. not requiring an explicit
    R2T)."

    Julian, please could you make the above change.

    Cheers

    Matthew Burbridge
    Senior Development Engineer
    NIS-Bristol