    Re: iSCSI: Representing iSCSI devices on FC fabrics

    I see the disconnect now. We have designed the gateway to represent
    each FC node as an iSCSI end point, not the gateway.  This way multiple
    gateways only represent multiple paths to the same iSCSI node. Hope this
    answers the other points you have raised below.

    Thanks,
    Thanu

    "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" wrote:

    > > Are you suggesting that two gateways should *not*  present the same
    > > iSCSI name for a given FC node ? I thought they should present the same
    > > iSCSI name and different iSCSI addresses (since it maps the path to
    > > the target) for any given FC node.
    >
    > I was attempting to very explicitly state that two iSCSI gateways should
    > !NOT! present the *same* iSCSI name for a given FC node!!
    >
    > I see how you may have formed this conclusion and this area needs to be
    > clarified in the Naming and Discovery document.
    >
    > It's the gateway device that really needs to be the named iSCSI node,
    > because it's not as simple as a "proxy passthru".  The gateway device itself
    > contains all kinds of iSCSI configuration and state that (I'm assuming) is
    > not shared with another iSCSI gateway that might present the same name in
    > the EUI naming scheme you outlined.  The "iSCSI Node" that must have the
    > unique name is the iSCSI gateway, not the FC device it is proxying for.  For
    > instance, one gateway will (should) have an access control list for iSCSI
    > authentication of initiators or targets.  A separate gateway using the
    > naming scheme you outlined will not share this information, so for all
    > practical purposes, it is *not* the same iSCSI device, even though it may
    > represent the same FC devices as another gateway.
    >
    > In addition (and more importantly), there are rules the iSCSI
    > target/initiator nodes must follow in order to assure there is "no parallel
    > nexus" for SCSI (ISID assignment and target portal group representation -
    > see section 2.5.2, 2.5.3 of iSCSI draft 09).  In order to correctly follow
    > those rules, separate gateways exporting duplicate iSCSI names for FC
    > devices would have to share real-time state information between boxes.
    > While that may be part of your design, I'm sure it's not part of competing
    > gateway vendors designs to share this information cross-vendor :-)
    >
    > Marjorie Krueger
    > Networked Storage Architecture
    > Networked Storage Solutions Org.
    > Hewlett-Packard