    RE: iSCSI Naming and Discovery

    Julian,
    I do not think Joshua's problem is getting a LUN number, it is getting
    through a IP to FC gateway (which might include a switch type function) to
    the approprate Storage Controller with an approprate WWN.   I think the
    proposal that Costa had which is just the inclusion in the Text of the
    Login command (in the field called "Target:") should be most of what is
    needed.  The name gets resolved at each step along the IP path (which is
    normal DNS resolution), and then when the IP to FC gateway is reached, it
    can use the end of the "Target:" Text Sting (following the last "/") to get
    to the approprate qualifier which will identify the target Storage
    Controller.   This will work the best, if the Text field also has a field
    called "WWN:".  The text that followed that "WWN:" field would be the WWN
    that the IP to FC gateway wishes to proxy as the original Host initiator
    WWN. Every thing else like Report LUNs, etc.  should still work as today,
    after the proxy connection is established.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd