    RE: iSCSI: problem with LUN discovery

    The question posed below is answered perfectly by the SCSI
    logical unit identifier specified in SPC-2.  A logical
    unit is identified using the INQUIRY VPD page 83h.
    The identifier has several possible formats, but the
    format appropriate for RAIDs and other devices with
    virtual logical units is the Fibre Channel
    "IEEE Registered Extended" format.  The first 64 bits
    of that are typically the WWN of the node (typically
    one of the attached controllers) that created the virtual
    logical unit.  The subsequent 64 bits of the 128 bit
    identifier are created by the controller in such a manner
    that they are never duplicated by the controller, typically
    using a high resolution time stamp and/or sequence number.

    Replacement of the controller and access to the LUN by
    another controller do not change the ID, which is part
    of the meta-data of the logical unit.  The value is
    never used again and dies with the formal de-creation
    (destruction, removal) of the logical unit.