    RE: FCIP: NAPTs Solution Proposal (issue from Irvine, CA Interim meeting)

    > For those cases where a secure environment is required, the
    > new connection comes up through the normal IPSec authentication
    > and encryption processes.  As a result, the transmission of
    > the identifying world wide names is already transmitted in an
    > encrypted format, creatable only by the authenticated and
    > certified source and interpretable only by the authenticated
    > and certified destination.

    The assumption that there's a big on/off switch for
    security is not correct (e.g., suppose IPsec is running
    with integrity on and confidentiality off) and
    "authenticated and certified" is a peculiar concept for
    group pre-shared keys, a very likely deployment scenario.
    Also, IPsec has no clue about the WWN, and hence the IKE
    authentication is not linked to the WWN that has to be
    presented (a particular problem with group pre-shared keys,
    but also a risk even with certificates).  In other words,
    "authenticated and certified" doesn't place any restrictions
    on what WWN is presented.  Finally, solving
    an inband authentication problem by requiring that IPsec be
    used to encrypt the WWN is wildly excessive, and besides,
    the WWN has no secret contents- it's a public piece of
    configuration information.

    There is a solution in this general area, but it involves
    linking the WWN to the IKE identity that is authenticated.
    That's probably going to break any attempt to use existing
    off-the-shelf external IPsec gateways because gateways
    don't grok WWNs, and the FCIP implementations won't
    know what identity was used in the IKE authentication
    to the gateway.  This is all a bit peculiar because FC
    currently trust WWNs passed in various FC Login frames
    without authenticating them, but that's T11's area of
    responsibility putting this sort of thing into an IETF
    standard isn't going to be acceptable.

    > If the Fibre Channel fabric is also operating in a secure mode,
    > subsequent Fibre Channel authentication and certification
    > is performed using the standard FC SLAP mechanisms.

    Only on the first TCP connection, unless you plan to require
    taking the FCIP link down when the second TCP connection
    is added (which strikes me as highly counterproductive).
    The second connection just inherits the results of the SLAP
    performed on the first one, whether its entitled to or not.

    > In addition to this, there are a whole bunch of policy
    > restrictions that are verified as part of the creation
    > of subsequent connections.  While these are not necessarily
    > part of the security steps, they prevent the formation of
    > connections which do not meet the security rules.

    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I suspect they
    don't help much here.

    > Assuming security mechanisms are properly implemented, where,
    > then, is the security hole?

    The fact that the WWN is not authenticated means that anyone
    who can set up an FCIP connection to an FCIP entity can tap
    into any existing FC traffic flowing on any connection through
    that FCIP entity.

Last updated: Mon Nov 12 08:18:01 2001
7753 messages in chronological order