    Querry !

    Hello all,

           We are a group of Engineers working on an idea related to the
       scsi subsystem in FreeBSD.We have approached this project from the
       perspective of iscsi.The project revolves around using iscsi target
       stack on FreeBSD and the changes  that (we feel) can be made to the
       scsi subsystem in FreeBSD.As we all know that the FreeBSD scsi
       system adheres to the CAM architecture model, wherein we have an
       upper layer of driver pertaining to different kinds of devices, disk,
       tape etc.Now this upper layer drivers or Peripheral modules(PM) takes
       the task of forming the scsi CDB and passes it on to the CAM transport
       layer or the XPT layer.This transport layer then forms a CCB and
       passes it further on to the lower layer SIM HBA driver.
       Now iscsi pdu carry scsi cdb as a part of it.But in the existing
       scsi subsystem in FreeBSD, the PM layer takes care of forming the
       scsi pdu in case of a normal I/O operation.Now assuming iscsi
       target stack running on the machine, won't it be feasible if we
       can write a pseudo driver that takes care of the fetching the
       scsi cdb as such and passing it on to the SIM driver ? In a
       way we will get away from the PM functionality which forms the
       scsi CDB in case of a normal I/O.Now where exactly this driver
       should fit ? Should this use the xpt transport layer functionality
       which takes care of the routing decision and device initialization?

       Any ideas related to the design will be of great help.Also we would
       like to know if any group is working on implementing iscsi stack
       on FreeBSD.

       Thanks for your patience !
       Kaushik