    FC encapsulation

    I have a question regarding the proposed ieft draft
    (draft-ietf-ips-fcencapsulation-03), regarding FC
    encapsulation, as a basis for FCIP, IFCP, and mFCP
    (plus, I assume, any potential future higher
    level encapsulations, such as the martini draft, or
    other "virtual wire" encapsulations).

    The FCIP draft states that "FC Primitive Signals, Primitive
    Sequences, and Class 1 Frames are not transmitted across an
    FCIP link because they cannot be encoded using FC Frame
    Encapsulation".  I understand this restriction for primitive
    signals/sequences, as they are never framed/transmitted, but
    do not understand the reason for the class 1 frame restriction.

    The proposed FC frame encapsulation is consistent with this
    restriction, in that in section 5.3, the FC SOF translation
    table (table 1) does not contain SOFc1, SOFi1, or SOFn1
    entries.  Other that this, the draft does not mention which
    FC classes are or are not supported, or why.

    Is there a fundamental reason why the FC encapsulation draft
    does not include class 1?  The fibre channel standards (as far
    as I can tell) do not exclude the possibility of allowing
    class 1 connections through a fabric, so regardless of the intent
    of the FCIP, IFCP, and mFCP encapsulations, I do not see why
    this draft should exclude class 1.

    If there is not underlying reason, then Table 1 within the draft
    should be expanded to include class 1, and possibly class 4 and 6.

    I realize that this may be "academic", in that perhaps most
    FC equipment in the field may not use class 1 anyway...

    Thankyou,
    Colin Kelly
    Tropic Networks
    Ottawa, Ontario