    RE: FC encapsulation (FCIP)

    Raj,

    You should review the document.  There is encoding for these primitives as
    both prefix and suffix.  An alternative scheme might be to place both prefix
    and suffix into the prefix.  This would prevent a simple linear encode, but
    would make accessing these items a bit easier.  Of course, you could use the
    encapsulated frame size parameter as a means to find the suffix directly.
    As far as being a complete document, implemented within SCTP actually
    provides a much higher level of documentation than is present within iSCSI
    specification.  Much of the configuration management, I argue, does not
    belong within the transport specifications.  LDAP does a much better job in
    providing configuration management.  Using pre-existing tools allows
    flexibility in management required whether it is the client or the provider.

    Within LDAP, you may wish to add flags to prohibit acceptance of various
    settings from various clients on the control stream as example.  What you
    will find missing in this document is how to go about mapping and filtering
    frames.  Something iSCSI has yet to address as well.  As some point, you may
    wish to map a subset to FC or Ethernet cable as example.  Should this
    standard be used as a bridge, a timestamp could be used within a prefix to
    decide if the frame is stale.  Such an option would not be required if it
    was not acting as a bridge.  A simple buffer will add adequate latency to
    provide effective bandwidth control within a bridge by taking advantage of
    burst limits.

    Doug

Last updated: Fri Oct 19 18:17:25 2001
7303 messages in chronological order