    Re: iSCSI - changes - PDULength and related

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI - changes - PDULength and related
    • From: Paul Koning <ni1d@arrl.net>
    • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:54:34 -0400
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    (((resending this, since the previous copy seems to have gone AWOL)))

    Excerpt of message (sent 12 October 2001) by Julian Satran:
    > In addition text request and response key+value strings are not required to
    > be confined to a single PDU (as we PDULength can be a low as 64 bytes!)
    >
    > Comments?

    Why change the minimum value of PDULength (and the two burstsize
    parameters)?  It used to be 512, which makes more sense, although even
    that is rather small.  Allowing the length to be set to such tiny
    values (like 64) adds a lot of complexity to the implementation to no
    useful purpose.

    I'd prefer to see a minimum around 1500, but if not, at least it
    should not be reduced from the existing value of 512.

           paul

    > 23 MaxRecvPDULength
    >
    > Use: All
    > Who can send: Initiator and Target
    >
    > MaxRecvPDULength=<0|number-64-to-2**24>
    > 24 MaxBurstSize
    >
    > Use: LO
    > Who can send: Initiator and Target
    >
    > MaxBurstSize=<0|number-64-to-2**24>
    >
    > Default is 256 Kbytes.
    >
    > Initiator and target negotiate maximum SCSI data payload in bytes
    > 25 FirstBurstSize
    >
    > Use: LO
    > Who can send: Initiator and Target
    >
    > FirstBurstSize=<0|number-64-to-2**24>