    iscsi : target originated login negotiations.

    • To: IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: iscsi : target originated login negotiations.
    • From: Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>
    • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:30:11 -0700
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    All,

    I have a question on how the target originated negotiation works. The
    draft describes this as :

    "The target may offer key=value pairs of its own. Target requests are
    not limited to matching key=value pairs as offered by the initiator.
    However, the initiator always controls the request-response initiation
    and termination."

    Here's my question, taking a specific scenario as an example :

    Assume ImmediateData defaults to "yes" [as is currently the case].
    Consider an initiator that wishes to use immediate data attempting to
    login with a target that does not support immediate data.

    I -> T : (does not explicitly send ImmediateData key, since the default
    is its desired value).

    T -> I : ImmediateData="no" (No ImmediateData key is received. Hence,
    target needs to originate this key to indicate that it does not
    support).

    Is this considered the end of the negotiation, or does the initiator
    (who is the responding party in this case) need to respond to the
    offered key with a response indicating :
    I -> T : ImmediateData="no"

    Also :

    a)  how does the above work in the case of list negotiation ?

    b) What is meant by "the initiator always controls the
       request-response initiation and termination." (?).
       Could this be stated more clearly ?

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    --