    iSCSI 07-95 Comments 14 Through 19

    Gentle People:

    First of all I would like to commend the author of the
    state machines. I believe that addition of the state machines
    to the document substantially enhances the overall conciseness.

    Several comments regarding 07-95 section 7 starting on page 118:

    14) In Sections 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 I would suggest enhancing
    the description of each state and each state transition.
    After reading this section carefully I have concluded that
    additional text would be of great benefit. Please provide
    a few sentences or a paragraph describing each state and
    each state transition.

    15) The state transition descriptions would be improved by
    linking the logical conditions to those of a TCP Service Interface
    such as Sockets. I am looking for a more formal and concise
    definition of each of the referenced logical conditions.

    16) In several places I see the term "[OR}" what dose this mean
    exactly a simple "or"?

    17) In section 7.3 transition N6 a session state time-out is referenced.
    where is this timer and time-out defined?

    18) In section 7.2:

    "These additional state transitions may be traversed either by using a
    connection in the LOGGED_IN state with an explicit logout (let us
    call it CSM-E), or on a new transport connection in the FREE state
    with an implicit logout (let us call it CSM-I). This recovery state
    diagram hence is applicable only to the instance of the connection in
    recovery, i.e. CSM-R."

    From what I can tell you are trying to recover a failed connection
    using the communication services of another existing or newly
    established
    connection. Please add a few sentences or a paragraph describing this
    concept fully.

    19) In section 7.1 and the following sections:

    "T7: A login redirection/initiator error/target error was
    received, or login timed out. (Initiator only)"

    In this statement the "/" is used repeatedly: Dose "/"
    really mean "or"?

    So the statement could read:
    "T7: A login redirection, initiator error, or target error was
    received, or the login timed out. (Initiator only)"

    If you mean "or" why not use 'or"?

    20) Referring to T7 above, where is the Login timer specified?

    Thomas Dineen

Last updated: Fri Sep 28 19:17:37 2001
6843 messages in chronological order