    Re: iscsi : numerical negotiation wording is ambiguous

    Julian,

    What is the responding party supposed to offer ? Is it supposed to determine the result of the
    negotiation (higher or lower value, as the case may be) and send that as its response ?

    Or, is it supposed to send in its numerical value and the initiator picks the higher or lower of
    the 2 ?

    This does'nt come across clear enough in the definition and is open to mis-interpretation. Please
    see the suggested re-word in its place.

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > Santosh,
    >
    > I am missing something. The rule states what value both parties should have
    > after both have seen the two values.
    > Obviously we assume that no error occurs and the responder value is seen y
    > the offering party or the negotiation fails.
    >
    > What exactly is ambiguous about it?
    >
    > Julo
    >

    >                     Santosh Rao
    >                     <santoshr@cup.       To:     ips@ece.cmu.edu (ips)
    >                     hp.com>              cc:
    >                     Sent by:             Subject:     iscsi : numerical negotiation wording is
    >                     owner-ips@ece.        ambiguous
    >                     cmu.edu
    >

    >                     26-09-01 19:59
    >                     Please respond
    >                     to Santosh Rao
    >

    > Julian & All,
    >
    > The definition of numerical negotiation in Section 2.2.4 of Rev 7.97
    > reads :
    >
    > "In numerical negotiations, the offering and responding party state
    >  a numerical value. The result of the negotiation is key dependent;
    >  frequently the lower or the higher of the two values is used."
    >
    > The above definition is ambiguous, since it does not specify whether it is
    > the originator or the responder that computes the result of the
    > negotiation.
    >
    > i.e. Is it the responsibility of the target to pick the higher or lower of
    > the 2 values and respond with the result of the negotiation ?
    >
    > OR :
    > Is it the originator that has to pick the result of the negotiation
    > based on the key it sent and the key it got back ?
    >
    > I would suggest that the wording be clarified to indicate that the
    > responder picks the result of the negotiation and sends this result back
    > in its response for this key.
    >
    > Perhaps, some re-wording along the following lines may be in order :
    >
    > "In numerical negotiations, the offering party states a numerical
    >  value, and the responding party states the result (operational value)
    >  after the negotiation.  The result of the negotiation is key
    >  dependent; responder determines it based on the lower or the higher
    >  of the two values - offering party's value, and what the responder
    >  can support."
    >
    > Comments ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Santosh
    >
    > --
    > #################################
    > Santosh Rao
    > Software Design Engineer,
    > HP, Cupertino.
    > email : santoshr@cup.hp.com
    > Phone : 408-447-3751
    > #################################

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088