    Re: iSCSI: Async events - SCSI and iSCSI

    Julian-

    I'd like to see them separate for two reasons:

    - iSCSI and SCSI-level events are typically orthogonal, so they
      probably won't usually end up being combined anyway.  It would
      be simpler for both the target and the initiator to not attempt
      to combine them.

    - Since the SCSI-level events use the data portion of the message
      for sense data, that leave iSCSI events without any way to send
      data of their own if there is a possibility of combining the
      two.  By keeping them separate, iSCSI could use the data portion
      for text keys.  In fact, Parameters 1, 2, and 3 might have been
      easier to describe had they been communicated using text keys;
      the processing of async messages is not a performance-critical
      thing anyway.

    That's about it.  A target could send both in one message, but since
    the desire to do this is probably an end case (a small percentage
    of async messages might combine both), there's no reason why we
    can't just have the target send two messages, and we end up with
    a simpler, and for iSCSI events, more flexible, implementation for
    both the initiator and target.

    Anyway, I think that if we are going for a clear separation between
    SCSI and iSCSI events, that it's even clearer if they are always
    sent in separate messages.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    --