    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 1:12 AM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI - bookmarks change

    Mark,

    Comments in text - Julo

    Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com>@cisco.com on 05-09-2001 22:21:31

    Please respond to Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com>

    Sent by:  mbakke@cisco.com

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:   ips@ece.cmu.edu

    The timeouts are the reason several of us had wanted something
    other than bookmarks in the first place; that's when we had
    proposed the "option 5" scheme that allowed an initiator to
    control the amount of data to be sent, and the target to not
    have to keep any state for text commands.  Since the initiator
    has to keep state anyway (while waiting for responses), we did
    not want to also have to keep state on the target.

    +++ I understand that. I went through this line of though, and saw that
    the
    the target will anyhow have to implement a time-out as it can't
    completely
    rely aon the initiator for more than a single request/response (and even
    there not).
    It was preferable then to let thing be as simple as possible - 1
    response/request. +++

    Anyway, the bookmarks will work fine; I just want to see
    this not get too complicated, and not have too many options.

    If we are going to use bookmarks, I would at least like to
    see only one outstanding text command at a time, regardless
    of what we do with the ITT.  I really don't see any difference
    between looking up an ITT or just looking at some value in
    a connection structure; I'll have the latter anyway.

    +++ Just regularity - the ITT mechanism is there and will be used for
    every
    PDU
    and for some recovery+++

    I don't see the difficulty.  Anyway, leaving ITT in does not
    hurt anything in the target, if we can at least change the
    SHOULD to MUST, the target can do the lookup either way.

    If we simply have to have a way for a special implementation
    to do multiple outstanding text commands, we could say:

        An initiator SHOULD have only one outstanding command on
        a connection at any given time.

        A target receiving a text command while another text command
        is in progress on the same connection MAY reject either or
        both commands.
    Standard implementations would then have only one outstanding
    command at a time; vendor-specific implementations could have
    multiples if they wish (providing that both initiator and target
    support them).

Last updated: Thu Sep 06 15:17:04 2001
6384 messages in chronological order