    RE: iSCSI: Public Key Method

    David,

    > I have no problem with this discussion in principle.
    > I'm interested in the practical aspects of this - as
    > public key infrastructures are being deployed (and this
    > is happening, albeit slowly), what is being used for
    > authentication - SPKM-1, -2, both, something else?
    > Keberos and CHAP are both being used for
    > authentication in the infrastructures of interest.

    Regarding the question of what is being used for public
    key, it seems SSL/TLS is quite common, most notably for
    http.  I have no information on how many applications
    (if any) are using SPKM-1 and/or SPKM-2.  Perhaps someone
    else could comment?

    > I have no problem with wanting to have a way to integrate
    > with public key infrastructure in principle, but am
    > concerned that we pick the right protocol in practice.
    > A quick reminder that this is about what to specify -
    > both implementation and use would be OPTIONAL.

    Good, we agree on needing a way to integrate with PKI.
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to be much of a help on how
    to do it.

    It seems to me TLS would be overkill for us at this point,
    especially since we already IPSec running underneath.  My
    reasoning for SPKM-1 and/or SPKM-2 is that I don't know of
    any other public key interface, unless we decide to create
    our own for iSCSI.

    I'd also like to add that whatever mechanism we decide upon,
    mutual authentication using public key certificates should
    be an option.  For this reason, we should rule out LIPKEY/SPKM-3.

    Josh