    wouldn't run very nicely over iSCSI.
    Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    In your application, the box that had been a "file server"
    now becomes a "metadata server" and "lock manager".  Once
    the clients are presented with the list of blocks comprising
    a file (and the write lock, if they're doing writes), they
    can go off and fetch the actual data from the iSCSI volume
    themselves.

    A failed metadata server behaves pretty much like a
    failed file server in terms of bringing a spare online, doing
    file system recovery, etc, except that clients already
    having been granted file access can continue accessing
    those blocks (and only those blocks) during the outage.

    As for client support, a special driver is needed on each client,
    to handle the split metadata/direct access operations.

    - milan