    No Subject

    Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Bernard,

    Thanks for the pointer to some current research in this area.

    That paper gave cycles/byte numbers for their algorithm, on
    a Pentium III and PowerPC.  For now, I'll comment on the PPC
    numbers, because that family is available as an embeddable core
    that can be integrated into hardware, while the Pentium III is not.
    For 1500-byte messages, it looks like UMAC will take between
    2.7 and 3.7 CPU clocks per byte (estimates, as no numbers
    were given for the full UMAC function on PPC).

    That indicates that I'd have to run my core at 600-800 Mhz
    to handle a single full duplex Gigabit Ethernet port, assuming
    I have the packets in memory that's fast enough to not stall the
    CPU, and that there's some way of getting packets into and out
    of that memory without interfering with the CPU.

    I grant you that is "do-able," and it certainly is less expensive
    than HMAC-SHA1, but I wouldn't call it "cheap."  At least for
    some portion of the audience here, "cheap" may be measured by how
    many thousands of gates the implementation adds to the existing
    data path logic, and "fast" by how many gate delays were
    introduced into that path.

    So, I guess that puts me in agreement with Jim William's
    comments; security protocols MUST be supported, and
    supported in the context of a single standard,
    not a "de jure" standard and a "de facto" alternative.
    And, if that means the standard must embrace non-monolithic
    "system level" compliance, then let's figure out how to
    do that properly, rather than declaring it illegal and hoping
    it will go away.

    - milan