    iSCSI: New SLP Draft

    A new version of the iSCSI SLP template draft is now
    available at:

    ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/iscsi/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-slp-01.txt

    The following changes have been made since -00:

    1. Fixed examples (change from fqn. to iqn.); add enterprise number
       (pending date discussion on list).

    2. Added a portal-group tag (aggregation tag) to the iSCSI
       target template.

    3. Fixed up references to indicate new draft revisions.

    4. Added commentary on using Unicast SLP, as discussed in the
       prior SendTargets thread.

    5. Made modifications to the wording of the SNS/SLP interaction
       stuff.  I have relabled the generic term "storage name service"
       as "storage management service" to reflect its role, and
       instead of the text showing how to use either/or for discovery,
       the text now shows how a management service can provide the
       SLP SA on behalf of the targets it manages.

    6. Removed the ability to register a default or canonical target.
       Each individual target must now be registered.

    I have not yet added references to SLP notification using RFC 3082.
    I think that we have to get that going as a separate discussion
    first.  Given that there's a good bit of interest in this functionality
    from us iSCSI folks, and the SLP people are moving from proposed
    standard to draft standard, this will be a good time to do so.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems

Last updated: Fri Nov 01 19:19:06 2002