    Re: iSCSI: Case-sensitivity in iSCSI names

    I can live with this.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com>@cisco.com on 07/18/2001 02:18:23 PM

    Sent by:  mbakke@cisco.com

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS, "IPS <ips"
    Subject:  Re: iSCSI: Case-sensitivity in iSCSI names

    Here are the new rules:

    - iSCSI names are case-sensitive.
    - iSCSI names are UTF-8 encoded.
    - iSCSI names are compared byte-for-byte; there is no need
      to translate them to upper or lower case.

    The above will keep iSCSI implementations simpler.

    Now, from the user side, we don't want to see conflicts like

      iqn.0.com.acme.foo42

    and

      iqn.0.com.acme.Foo42

    The above are technically not the same name to an iSCSI
    implementation.

    However, it would not be in anyone's best interest for
    acme.com to assign two names that are identical if they
    were both translated to lower case.

    So we need a few MUSTs, or at least SHOULDs, to make this
    easier on anyone having to type these in:

    - An iSCSI name MUST NOT be generated such that if converted
      to lower case, it conflicts with any other iSCSI name
      converted to lower case.

    - iSCSI names SHOULD be generated to use lower case of their
      appropriate character set.

    - An iSCSI implementation MAY accept an iSCSI name that, if
      converted to lower case, matches another iSCSI name that it
      recognized.

    The third rule depends on the first being implemented, and
    gives implementations the flexibility to do case-insensitive
    comparisons if they so choose.

    What do you think?

    Mark

    --